5/27/2004

The other day I was reading Matthew 4, and a verse that I've read many times over, in the past, just seemed to take on a greater depth of meaning for me. Check out Matthew 4:20.

First of all, Jesus in verse 19 of chapter 4, calls out to Peter and Andrew, who just happen to be hard at work doing what they did every day to support their families, keep new tires on the car, and the kids in Christian school - they were fishing. Jesus said: "Come follow me." So what exactly did they do?

Verse 20 says that "at once they left"....Their response was immediate, at least this time (see John 1:35-42). What was different about this time? Why in the world did they go back to fishing following the first invitation they received from Christ?

That begs the question: How immediate is my obedience? Rick Warren in his popular book, The Purpose Driven Life, writes that "partial obedience is disobedience." Does this mean delayed obedience is disobedience? I think so.

It's incredible to see the level of obedience Peter and Andrew, this second time around. It was an obedience rooted in trust. I'm reminded again of the importance of this truth: To leave something, I need to really trust in what/who I'm leaving it for. Peter and Andrew trusted the Rabbi.

Just a couple of questions that arise from this passage that may challenge each of us today:

-What do I need to leave right now? In other words, what is there in my life that I've put ahead of following Christ? Could it be one of the following? "stuff", Position, Pride, Anger, Comfort, Impatience, Busyness, My Mask, Self, Lack of Trust?
-What things/attitudes keep me from immediate obedience? Am I "delaying" obedience in some area of my life right now?

There is a cost to pay to stay in the Master's dust...Are you willing to pay it...at once?

In pursuit,
DpD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home