8/10/2004

Last week I was on vacation. We had a great time with the family - just hanging out and relaxing. During the week I recorded some thoughts in my journal and over the next few days I will be sharing those thoughts with you. It never ceases to amaze me that God meets with me in an awesome way IF I just take the time to rest and listen in His presence!

God Speaks Through My Surroundings - Entry 1

Today it's sunny and the forecast says it will be warm, but there's a strong breeze right now that is keeping the temperature cool. The lake glistens as the wind roughs it up a bit, but in the areas where trees provide protection from the wind, the water is like glass.

As I stare out at this scene, I'm reminded of how I like to live in the place of calm. I believe most people do! What do I benefit from living in such a place? My faith remains unchallenged and as a result gains absolutely no strength. I become very comfortable and content and this just leads to a continuing desire to remain in the calm. I then find myself praying daily for protection and safety and smooth sailing. A phrase the crops up frequently in prayer is: "Build a hedge of protection around me." Sounds like calm waters to me!

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for me to pray: Lord, stretch my faith as You push me out of my comfort zone today. Strengthen me as I leave the calm waters and safety of this place and go out into the rougher waters of the world. Lord, I can't do this on my own, I need your help.
Lord, without You, I can do nothing.

We are encouraged by Christ to be in the world but not of the world (see John 17). When we stay in a place of safety...when we stay in quiet waters...we're unable to fully realize the power of God in our lives. It's only when we venture out in faith that we can experience His strength; His power; His grace. And that will happen sometimes right smack dab in the middle of a storm!

Body surfing,
Deurty Old Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home