9/22/2004

As I've been driving around town, I'm beginning to see many more political signs poking out of people's front yards. There are Bush/Cheney signs next door to Kerry/Edwards signs. When I thought about the nature of political signs in general, and their value in the political process, I couldn't come up with a whole lot of good reasons for their existence. Are they persuasive because they are posted throughout a neighborhood? Maybe, but I've not changed my mind because of a yard sign. I believe that signs do little more than openly identify people's political pursuasion. The sign probably says more about where an individual stands politically, than that person may feel comfortable verbally sharing with others. In other words...the sign speaks for me! It's interesting to see 3 homes in a row with a Kerry sign sandwiched by a couple of Bush signs. How does the guy in the middle feel about his neighbors in this highly charged presidential campaign? How do the Bush guys feel about him? Where is Nader in all of this? What?? It's all about identifying who we are and what we're about.

Wouldn't it be great if there were yard signs that stated "I'm a follower of Christ" or "I'm a follower of the prince of darkness"? Or maybe just - Jesus, or just Satan? Then we would know exactly where everyone was coming from, and we wouldn't have to say a word because the sign would say it all. Do you like idea?
I don't either. I believe our words and lives need to demonstrate that we are followers of Christ...not a sign. By the way...the words and actions have to line up, don't they?

During the rest of this political season, I challenge each of you to ask yourself the following questions every time you see a yard sign.

Can people around me clearly see that I have identified myself as a follower of Christ, or do they see me following after what the world has to offer? Who or what am I identifying with on a daily basis? Elections come and go. Candidates come and go. The decisions I make daily that affect eternity, are eternal.

pulling signs for my grandkids,
DOM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home