11/05/2004

I've been working through the book of James again, while doing an online study with my friend Dan, and some family members. This small book hits me like a George Foreman right hand fist, right in the center of my gut. And then, just as I stagger to catch my balance and stand erect while gasping for air, I take a shot right on the chin and realize I really need some work to stand in this ring! Thanks James!

Here's a verse that rocked my world today: "You adultresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." James 4:4 (NASB)

Basically, if I put more value on the things of the world than God, I'm guilty of spiritual adultery. This could be sports, money, stuff, friends, self...go ahead, fill in the blank. God desires for me to be 100% faithful to Him, 100% of the time. This doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy life in this world. It means that I cannot allow the world to move a rung up on the ladder above my relationship with God, in Christ.

It's an every day, sold out faithfulness. Think about it...if I told Gayle, my wife, that I loved her with all my heart and I was going to be faithful to her on Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and a halfday on Saturday. How do you think she would, or better yet, should react? Yet, this is the very same level of faithfulness I am often extending to Christ. Somehow, being called an adulterer doesn't seem so far off base.

In it, but not of it,
DOM

1 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Hosh said...

Thanks for this reminder, DOM. It's a hard thing to do but worth it!
~Hosh~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home