11/24/2004

Recently, I spent some time in Central's chapel to get away from the busyness of a day in the office, and to spend some quiet time alone with God. My desire was to prepare for a devotional I had to give to a group of married couples on the final evening of a ten week journey, called - Refreshing Your Marriage.

As I sat in the front pew of the empty auditorium, I focused on the large cross that was mounted on the front wall. I was drawn to the cross because that evening, we would be celebrating communion together. I'm not proud of the fact that I seldom take the time to sit in silence and reflect on what Christ has done for me and what He means to me. The cross, a simple Roman execution tool, represents Jesus Christ's love, grace, and forgiveness to a degree that I cannot comprehend.

As I focused on the cross that afternoon, I was reminded over and over of the last words of Christ on His cross, as recorded in John. - "It is finished." Jesus, God incarnate, gave up everything that He could enjoy in Heaven and entered our neighborhood for one purpose - His death on a cruel instrument of death, and then 3 days later, His resurrection. This was His sole purpose for becoming man, and He was fully obedient every step of the way. Because of His radical obedience, He could confidently look death in the face before taking His last breath, and say to His Father - "It is finished."

My mind and heart was then directed to the couples who would be sitting side-by-side in the seats of the chapel - some currently enjoying a season of the fullness and joy of marriage, others just muddling along - same old, same old, and still others moving further and further apart with very real thoughts or words saying - "It's finished, I'm done, I can't do this anymore."

Isn't it amazing how a phrase: "It is finished" can be spoken by two people, with totally different mindsets, desires, and attitudes. Jesus spoke these words as a servant, obedient to the death- not for Himself, but for others! A husband or a wife speak the same words as selfish individuals. Clearly, the focus is on the individual who is speaking the words alone. In fact, there is no regard for anyone else, or for that matter, room in their mind for any other thought at this point in their marriage.

Servanthood versus Selfish desires. Distinct differences. The choice is mine. The choice is yours. The end result - our future - hangs in the balance.

It is finished....
DOM












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home