12/30/2004

A few days ago, I finished reading Donald Miller's book - Blue Like Jazz. Once I got into this book, it was difficult to put down. Miller gives us a peek into his life as he wrestles with Christianity and "works out his salvation." It's interesting because it's real - real people, real thoughts, real questions. As he discusses topics like: Grace, Faith, Community, Love, Romance, and Redemption - often in a seemingly irreverent way, he raises some great thought provoking questions.

A couple of my favorite quotes from the book:
"I love to give charity, but I don't want to be charity. This is why I have so much trouble with grace....I'm too prideful to accept the grace of God. It isn't that I want to earn my own way to give something to God, it's that I want to earn my own way so I won't be a charity."

"God woos us with kindness, He changes our character with the passion of His love."

"If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus."

Living in community made me realize one of my faults: I was addicted to myself. All I thought about was myself. The only thing I really cared about was myself. I discovered that my mind is like radio that picks up one station, the one that plays me: KDON, all Don, all the time."

This book is a good read and I recommend it to those who think they have Christianity all figured out, as well as those who are on the journey of working their salvation out.


Working on figuring it out,
DOM

2 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger David Drury said...

Hey fellow D-squared... great to hear your thoughts on BLJ. I really loved that book. I thought it did an ample job reconstructing instead of just tearing down - we emergent types can learn from his style and content, eh?

My review from this Summer: http://www.drurywriting.com/david/BlueLikeJazz.htm

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Deur said...

thanks for the review. i'll stick to my Jerry Falwell books thank you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home