1/18/2005


Can You Hear Me Now?

Last week I called our Hoosier daughter, while I stood in an antique store in Bisbee, Arizona. My awesome wife had come across some old advertisements of cars that appeared in mags like LIFE and Saturday Evening Post. Our daughter wanted them for the room of our 3 month old grandson. You can imagine how excited I was when we came across a full size advertisement for the Hudson Hornet automobile. Wow! This was way too good to be true, since our grandson's name is Hudson Hornet (just kidding on the Hornet).

I was really pleased and excited about our find and wanted to call our daughter right away and let her know about our/her good fortune. I dialed her number and waited patiently for her to answer. It was obvious after a sentence or two of conversation, that my cell connection was not a good one. I could hear her repeat over and over: "I can't hear you." I, naturally, responded: "Can you hear me now?" as I moved around the store, almost as if there was magical spot that would create a clear connection. My daughter finally got sick of playing this game and said: "Dad, I'm going to hang up on you right now", and she did. I was crushed.

A few minutes later, I found that I could get a stronger cell signal if I stood outside of the store, and in the middle of the street, which I did. I was then able to share my excitement about "the find". My daughter and I have had some great laughs about this incident. It was one of those moments that you can't create...they just happen.

As I reminisce about this funny experience, I thought about how I sometimes do something similar when God is speaking to me, or even at times when I'm speaking to Him.

When He's speaking to me and I'm not into the message, it's easy for me to think or say: "I can't hear you...we must have a poor connection...I'm going to hang up on you...We'll talk later." Sound familiar? Is God often saying to you: "Can you hear Me now?" Or, are you wandering around, very content with a poor signal? Maybe it's time step out in faith and obedience and listen to what God has to say.

Or, how about when you're communicating with God in prayer, and sharing your heart, but you don't seem to get a response - you don't really sense His presence in your life. Is He listening...does He care? Do you find yourself asking God: "Can You hear me now?" Why does it seem, at times, God is so silent? Is He really silent, or am I just not wanting to hear what He's saying?

How many bars are displayed in your prayer life?

Moving around for a full seven bar signal,
DOM


4 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Dave Deur! What's up? This is your favorite former intern of Central Wesleyan Church. I thought maybe you'd like to add a link to my blog on yours. It's at www.blogginwithmatt.tk. Take care!

_ulrich

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Hosh said...

In response to:"Can you hear me now?"

Loud and clear good buddy!

~Hosh~

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Deur said...

Did you say bars? When are we going? Huh?

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Dave Deur said...

strictly subliminal Deurty...kinda surprised you picked it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home