1/21/2005

What Gets You Out of Bed in the Morning??

At 6:00am this past Thursday, we started a new men's small group. Eight guys showed up, which was cool. We're going to work through a study that is based on the letters to Timothy and Titus. I'm anxious to rip into the truths of these great books of instruction which are directed toward servant leadership in the church - men and women. I'm hoping that "ripping" and early morning go together. I'll soon find out.

When we wrapped up our first meeting at 7:30, I challenged the guys to bring a friend next time we met. This is a challenge I seem to be giving often! In fact, I feel like a nagger.

Why do most men hesitate to invite another man to a startup bible study or men's small group? I believe it's directly related to our desire as men, to be free enough to bail in the first few weeks. An invited friend could likely shortcircuit an early exit from such a group...especially if he was enjoying it and wanted to stay. Bringing a friend to a study or small group would end up holding the inviter accountable.

Accountability, therefore, can be defined as a perceived lack of freedom.

I'm finishing reading a couple of books right now. They are:
+Louder Than Words - The Power of Uncompromised Living by Andy Stanley
+Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper
+Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning

I'm hoping to get started Mark Waltz's new book entitled: First Impressions - Creating Wow experiences in Your Church. Mark is on staff at Granger Community Church in the area of First Impressions with a team of volunteers, 450 strong. Another book I'm looking forward to reading is Desert Solitaire - A Season in the Wilderness. My nephew from New Mexico passed this one on to me, so I'm anxious to get into that one as well.

I'm dying to get a hold of a copy of Dave Drury's new book: Living a Fruit-filled Life.

DOM




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home