3/07/2005

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS?

John Wesley wrote: "Give me one hundred men who fear nothing but God, who hate nothing but sin, and who know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified, and I will shake the world."

Wesley was/is right! Big numbers have nothing to do with God's power and His purposes in this world. Check in with Gideon (Judges 6-7) on this if you have any questions.

What would it look like to have an army of 100 men sold out to Christ and willing to die for Him? What do I believe God could accomplish through 100 such men? What do I believe God could accomplish through 50 men like Wesley describes? How about with 25 such men? What about one?

DOM

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful thought Dibs! Are you RageAgainstTheMachine on EW.com? You are sounding like him. If I see the word "Cahones" in your archive anywhere, I've got you pegged.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Dave Deur said...

I'm not the "rager" and I wish everyday I had the "cahones" to be a Matt. 5:10-12 man. All too many times the Dibster just wimps out.

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Adrian Despres take over your blog??

I lived/thought like this for so long...tried to be that one man...had my ups and downs in the passionate pursuit of God.

Don't really buy into it anymore.

What would 100 people like Wesley look like? I'd be scared in a scared sort of way.

Exclusive & Judgemental?
Superiority complex?
Terrible marriage?
Annoying?????

Maybe I'm just recalling myself in those "who will go for us?" Isaiah sort of moments.

Sorry to be a downer on the Wesley/one-man parade.

Finding my way, JJ

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Dave Deur said...

Hey JJ,
I'm not really sure who Adrian Despres so I'm not sure what you mean by that comment. I agree, Wesley had issues...but don't we all.

I'm not exactly sure what it means that you "don't really buy into it anymore." Maybe you could flesh that out for me sometime.

Regarding the listed characteristics of John Wesley... I guess I would just say that I'm no better than him, which makes me just as guilty and in need of God's grace, forgiveness, and hope. That's probably true of Adrian also.

What would scare you about a 100 such men? That really intrigues me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home