6/16/2005

LIFE and DEATH

This past weekend, I experienced something very unique. It all started when I made a hospital visit and stood with a number of family members around a bed, as they waited for their loved one to pass away. The loved one was clinging to life after all life support was removed. The result of this action was a quiet and somber vigil as the family waited for the inevitable. After spending a short time with this family, I left and returned to my car. When I reached my parked car, I found out that my niece had just given birth to a healthy baby boy in the same hospital, less than 5 hours earlier. Within 10 minutes I was standing in still another hospital room but this time, there was joy, not the heaviness of pending death. There was an atmosphere of happiness and excitement because of the birth of a healthy 8 lb. 13oz baby boy - entering the world.

Within a twenty minute time period, I experienced the realities of a sad farewell at death's door, and a joyfilled welcome as a new baby enters the world...a huge swing of emotions in less than a half hour. "He gives and takes away..."

Still processing,
DOM

2 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Deur said...

good stuff

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger molly madonna said...

amazing, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home