7/16/2005



ACCOUNTABILITY

Thomas Carlisle wrote, "Conviction is worthless until it converts itself into conduct."

Conviction can come and go freely and frequently, with little or no pain at all. But let's get serious, what good is conviction if it doesn't change or rearrange our conduct? Our best intentions to change our behavior, often get short-circuited by the fact that we're stubbornly trying to "go it alone." For instance, I was convicted years ago to become a decent golfer - to move beyond the "weekend hacker" stage. I have spent more than 35 years attempting to do just that, but I've never considered asking anyone who would be able to help me move from my conviction into a new golfing conduct. As a result, I have become comfortable as a "weekend hacker," even bragging about it. I keep thinking I can figure it all out without any help, thank-you very much. What is it? Pride? Lack of desire? Too frugal? Comfort? Too stubborn? Or, all of the above and more?

I've learned that accountability helps me move from conviction to changed conduct, but please don't try to hold me accountable until I ask. Accountability sucks...but I need it.

DOM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home