7/29/2005


KNOWING IT ALL ALONG

A number of years ago, I made a very important commitment to my wife and children. I told them that if I was thinking good thoughts about them, I would always verbalize those thoughts immediately. I never wanted to think something about them, and then never share it with them. I told them when my commitment played itself out, I would be telling them things in places and times, when my verbalized thoughts wouldn't always seem appropriate. No matter, I did it all the same and have continued this commitment on with my grandchildren.

A few days ago, after my grand-daughter Autumn had enjoyed a meal at our home, I told her I wanted to speak to her and asked if she would come to where I was seated. She dutifully dropped what she was doing and walked to me. I picked her up and placed her on my lap, looked her square in the eyes and said, "Autumn I love you sooo much!" She looked back into my eyes and said, "Papa, I knew that you were going to tell me that!" Wow! What a great feeling! What affirmation! Autumn had already experienced my love for her, in my actions. She had heard these same words expressed and directed toward her, over and over. She knows her Papa loves her. For her - no surprise! She had seen it, she experienced it, she heard it all before. Nothing new here. Thanks, Papa, but I already knew that!

I thought about how this should be true in my relationship with God. As I spend time with God, and I tell Him how much I love Him, is it possible for Him to say to me, "I knew you were going to say that!" Have my actions shown it? Have my words expressing this love, been consistent? Is He caught off guard by my words because they don't align with my actions? Or does He simply say, "I knew you were going to tell me that!"

I sure look forward to hearing Him say those words in person, "I knew you were going to tell me that!"

Hey Autumn, thanks for teaching your Papa about love.

DOM

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Deur said...

I knew you were going to write that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home