10/04/2005


FREE CHOICE

I've been reading a great little devotional book entitled: The Radical Cross By A.W Tozer. This book is a compilation of Tozer's essays on the cross, with many of them directly sprouting from Luke 9:23.

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

It's my choice. I'm completely free to make it. The rewards or consequences are mine...It's all about my choice, but on the other hand it's not all about me at all...it's all about identifying with and following Jesus. Tozer writes: "The believer's own cross is one he has assumed voluntarily...No Roman officer ever pointed to a cross and said, "If any many will, let him."

Tozer makes this observation: "I have long believed that a man who spurns the Christian faith outright is more respected before God and the heavenly powers than the man who pretends to religion but refuses to come under its total domination."

I would love to hear your reaction to this quote.

DOM

3 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger About Brandon said...

I put the book on my "To Read List" - it sounds great!

One of the major thoughts I take from that passage is that each of us are called to make those daily decisions that can be painful/difficult, but are eternal. "What I am doing today that will last for eternity?" It's a great question to ask, but the answer is usually not the easiest thing on the to-do list, but the most demanding!

-B

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger About Brandon said...

That's.... "What am I doing today that will last for eternity?"

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Dave Deur said...

Great question Brandon. When I'm able to look at, and then live each day from that perspective, I will experience the pleasure of God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home