1/28/2006

CONCERN PLUS ACTION EQUALS TRANSFORMATION

"If your heart takes more pleasure in reading novels, or watching
TV, or going to the movies, or talking to friends, rather than
just sitting alone with God and embracing Him, sharing His cares
and His burdens, weeping and rejoicing with Him, then how are
you going to handle forever and ever in His presence...? You'd
be bored to tears in heaven, if you're not ecstatic about God
now!" Keith Green


I came across this quote today and it literally crashed into my gut like a strong right from Jack Bauer. Why do I find myself enjoying a program like "24" so much that I make and all out effort to arrange my schedule around it, or at least make sure I tape it for later enjoyment? Why do I often pickup and read a book about The Book and enjoy reading that rather than The Book? Why am I asking these questions? Maybe it's a good sign for me to be concerned about things like this, but for me, concern and action do not always go hand-in-hand...so what's up with that?

Here are a couple of questions for the day: How prepared am I to handle "forever and ever in His presence?" Why does my stomach hurt?
DOM

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith Green's point is well-taken, but seems to equate God with the
traditional notion of "sacred." To paraphrase Frederick Buechner:
sometimes the profane is not the opposite of the sacred, but the carrier of it. Meaning: novels and movies are not automatically SECULAR but can carry the SACRED because "all truth is God's truth." I think we are drawn to entertainment for many reasons, but I am convinced that it is through story (real and fictional) that we can understand and experience God's presence. For me, being alone is critical to being with God, but isn't the only way.

That said, your point about 24 speaks to me; I will squirrel away time for books, but so little for silence and encounters with the living God.

Bif

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Dave Deur said...

Thanks Bif. Good insight and thoughts....Thanks for the Buechner paraphrase. I've decided not to slit my wrists after all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home