2/13/2006

THE WORLD IS NOT A STAGE

Five days in Gulfport, Mississippi taught me alot about how easy it is to fall into the "world is my stage" trap. For instance, when people ask me what I did this past week, this could be what follows:

"I loaded up some personal belongings, a sleeping bag, an air mattress, pillow, and change of clothes, and then drove straight down to Gulfport with 3 other guys in a minivan. When we got there 18 hours later, we went to work, repairing and then re-roofing homes. This was hard work, because some of these roofs were in pretty bad shape. We also had an opportunity to look around and see the devastation left by Katrina. We slept in a large room at the church (full of snoring men), which became our base of operation. We ate each day with 50 other people in a dining hall environment, where we also watched the SuperBowl (Yep, that's right, I missed the annual superbowl party!). At the end of our work commitment we loaded our stuff back into the van and drove 19 straight hours until we arrived at home.

The above, short Gulfport report talks more about "I" and "We", without saying much about "Who" and "Why". Interesting......

The Rabbi said: "Be especially caareful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself..." Mt. 6:1-2a

God's at work in Gulfport. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be part of His work there. I was once again reminded, it's not about me....it's about Him and Them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home