4/02/2007


BASEBALL

I love this time of year! The weather begins to warm up a bit, the tulips starts sprouting out of the dirt, the grass begins to turn green, golf courses begin operations, and baseball begins again in America.

There's something about the game of baseball that brings back great memories from the past. My introduction to the competitive game of baseball was when I was 10 years old. I played third base for the Bricklayers for two years, and we won the championship in my second year. I remember our coach organizing a trip to a Cub game at Wrigley as a celebration for winning the championship. Coach had connections with the Cubs after spending a few years in the minors with them. I can still remember walking into the ballpark that day, and hearing the crack of the bat during batting practice, the smell of hotdogs and beer, the green grass in the infield and outfield and the ivy on the outfield walls. It was so exciting to see some of my favorite players in the National League. Guys like, Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, Lou Burdette, Del Crandal, Joe Adcock, Eddie Matthews, and of course, Ernie Banks the All-star Cub.

Ever since that first major league game I can remember attending, I get that same childlike excitement every time I enter a major league ballpark before a game. I probably enjoy the memories more than I do the game itself!

My favorite team in the Amercian League: Detroit Tigers....and in the National League: Arizona Diamondbacks.

The photo above is from a spring training game in Tucson in March.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home